How Pastors (And Everyone) Can Build A Marriage That Will Last - Part One
So yesterday I told you this series of posts was on the way…here we go…HOW do we build a marriage that will last?
#1 – We’ve Got To Have A Solid Foundation
The first thing they did when they began constructing the house next door is make sure the foundation was solid.
Jesus said in Matthew 7:24-27 that we should take the time to make sure the foundation is ROCK SOLID…because WHEN (not if) the rains come and we aren’t solid…the crash is going to be intense.
So…church leader, here’s the question for us today…how much time and effort are we putting into making sure than the foundation of our marriage is solid? It’s really sad when a church leader spends hours and hours developing a plan for a successful ministry…but won’t put a fraction of that time into developing a plan for a successful marriage. What is your plan for success in your marriage?
(BTW…if you marriage falls apart, your ministry will too…so it’s worth the effort!)
We’ve GOT to take the marriage covenant seriously!
One more thing…if you are single and in ministry the BEST WAY to prepare yourself for marriage is fall in love with Jesus and do EVERYTHING it takes to stay connected to Him. AND then don’t settle for ANYTHING less than someone else who does the same thing.
It is WAY better to remain single than to be with the wrong person!
#2 – Follow The Plan
I’ve driven by the house next door several times and have seen the guys actually stop building and gather around the plans to make sure they are getting things done right…that’s not a bad plan for our marriages either…are we building according to God’s plan…such as…
- Guys…are you being harsh with her when you speak? She’s your wife…NOT your staff member. (I Peter 3:7) AND…btw…you should not be harsh with your staff either!
- Ladies…is he feeling respected and admired by you? (Ephesians 5:33)
- Guys…are you serving her like Jesus served…or is your focus on being served? (Matthew 20:28)
- Ladies…are you reminding him of a torture device that won’t shut up? (Proverbs 27:15)
- Guys…are you making sure she is completely taken care of, OR are you neglecting her in order to make yourself look good? (Ephesians 5:25-27)
- Ladies…are you a crown or cancer? (Proverbs 12:4)
- Guys…are you aware of what a blessing she is? (Proverbs 31:10)
- Ladies…are you careful or careless in how you speak and how you spend? (Proverbs 19:14)
- BOTH OF YOU…are you taking care of one another sexually? (I Corinthians 7:3-5)
- Single dude…are you LOOKING for a wife or expecting to be found? (Proverbs 18:22)
I could go on and on…but the problem is so clear…to many church leaders are trying to teach God’s Word and not LIVE God’s Word. And…if this falls apart in our house then it is only a matter of time before it falls apart in God’s house!